Thursday, September 3, 2009

almost the end....

As my DTS is ending, I was pondering about my time here and i have come up with a couple lists.

26 things I love about South Africa:

1. It's MANY people groups
2. Delicious pot bread (no, not that kind of pot)
3. Living in a hut with a floor made out of cow dung
4. Traveling on a crowed train
5. Traveling on a crowed taxi
6. Traveling on a sweet yellow bus, ahem I mean truck
7. The hospitality of the people here
8. Getting 7 rand for every Canadian dollar
9. Cheap, but tasty coffee
10. Living with a family of believers, sharing life, love and our love of Christ with each other
11. THE MOUNTAINS!!!!
12. THE OCEAN!!!
13. THE CONSTANT WAVES!!!
14. Learning about the Xhosa people
15. Learning to speak Xhosa (not very well though)
16. Paying 6 rand in 5 and 10 cent pieces for a taxi and getting laughed at
17. Spending time in the townships talking to everyone
18. BRAAI (South African BBQ's)
19. Breathtaking views from the tops of mountains
20. African time (there's always time to have a chat, not matter how busy you are)
21. Cathy and Frank
22. How gorgeous the people are here, inside and out
23. The children
24. How dancing is a huge part of worship
25. Their love of music
26. My wonderful teams mates

Key things to remember when in South Africa:

1. Always carry a camera, because you never know
2. Don't carry a "normal" camera bag, it could be easily recognized and stolen
3. Do not pay a taxi in 5 and 10 cent pieces, they don't like that
4. Always carry a bible
5. when taking the train, make sure you leave 20 min early, the train is always late, on time and early
6. Never walk along at night in the city
7. when walking along at night in rural areas, watch out for cows, dogs, sheep, and many land mines (cow dung)
8. A torch or headlamp is a must in the rural areas
9. You'll need shorts, a sweatshirt, pants, rain jacket, toque, gloves, t-shirt, hiking shoes, sandels, sneakers all in one day. You never know.
10. When asking for water in a restaurant, make sure you specify TAP water. (and often that isn't even an option)
11. Stop at Kalky's in Kalk Bay for fish and chips
12. You can always talk down any vendor, usually at least half of what they ask

I'll be leaving Cape Town on Sat. to go north for two weeks for a conference and debrief of our time here. Therefore, I may not have internet for awhile. So if you want to get ahold of me, well you may not be able to. I may get internet for one day, but that's not for sure.

Keep me in your prayers as my time ends here. For the seeds of faith that we planted to grow and prosper. The things we have started here will continue as more groups come here.

I'll be flying home to Ontario on Sept.23 and arriving in Toronto on the 24th. A welcoming at the airport would be MARVELOUS, but i understand if you can't =)

Miss you my friends and family.
Thank you for making God's plan for my life come into fruition.

Jonathan

ps. I'm no longer a vegatarian. Sorry my vegi friends.
pps. I will accept any form of steak and i'll provide great conversation =)

No comments:

Post a Comment